Libyan forces renew push against Islamic State in Sirte

Libyan forces allied with the UN-backed government on September 18 battled Islamic State militants in their last hideouts in the city of Sirte, in a renewed push after a break in fighting for the Muslim celebrations of Eid.

libyan forces renew push against islamic state in sirte hinh 0

At least two were killed in clashes after self-government forces shelled neighborhoods inside the city, targeting militants who have been holding on in a last section of Sirte after months of street-to-street fighting.

US air strikes and helicopter raids along with small teams of Western special forces have helped the Libyan troops advance in Sirte and losing the city would be a major blow for the militant group depriving it of its North African stronghold.

"Our forces targeted on September 18 hideouts of Daesh in Neighbourhood No.3's 600 block area and Geza Bahriya with heavy artillery shelling," said Mohamed Ghasri, a spokesman for the forces, said using an Arabic term for militants.

Akram Gliwan, a spokesman for Misrata central hospital, told Reuters two fighters had been killed and six more were wounded and were brought to the hospital. 

Reuters

Related news