US Ambassador engages in onsite detonation of wartime bomb in Quang Tri

VOV.VN - US Ambassador to Vietnam Marc Knapper on April 2 made a field trip to Quang Tri province, a former war-torn land in central Vietnam, where he took part in an onsite detonation of a wartime bomb.

Knapper was joined by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Do Hung Viet of Vietnam.

The two diplomats visited a site of war aftermath remediation activities in Huong Hoa district, and witnessed an onsite detonation of a cluster bomb carried out by Peace Trees Vietnam in Huong Linh commune.

The detonation is part of a broader mine clearance programme implemented by non-governmental organizations, including Peace Trees Vietnam, with funding from the US government.

These projects have played a crucial role in reducing the risk of unexploded ordnance left over from the war, ensuring safety for local people, and freeing up land for economic development.

The two diplomats also visited a site of the Missing in Action (MIA) search operations in Cop village of Huong Phung commune, where efforts to locate MIA soldiers are taking place.

The MIA cooperation between Vietnam and the United States is a crucial part of their ongoing partnership to address the consequences of the war. The search and identification of missing soldiers is not only of humanitarian significance but also plays a vital role in healing the wounds of war and strengthening the relationship between the two countries.

Deputy Minister Viet expressed his deep emotion at the tireless efforts of both sides, saying this undertaking not only brings comfort to the families of the missing but also represents an important step in the process of reconciliation and in strengthening the bond between Vietnam and the United States.

Mời quý độc giả theo dõi VOV.VN trên
Viết bình luận

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Related

220-kg wartime bomb discovered in Quang Binh
220-kg wartime bomb discovered in Quang Binh

VOV.VN - Competent forces have successfully deactivated a 220-kilogramme bomb which had been left over from the war in the central province of Quang Binh, Mines Advisory Group (MAG) in Vietnam said on January 4.

220-kg wartime bomb discovered in Quang Binh

220-kg wartime bomb discovered in Quang Binh

VOV.VN - Competent forces have successfully deactivated a 220-kilogramme bomb which had been left over from the war in the central province of Quang Binh, Mines Advisory Group (MAG) in Vietnam said on January 4.

200-kilo wartime bomb unearthed in central Vietnam
200-kilo wartime bomb unearthed in central Vietnam

VOV.VN - A wartime bomb weighing approximately 200kg has been uncovered by a construction worker while operating an excavator to clear a drainage pipeline in Ky Anh town of Ha Tinh province, central Vietnam.

200-kilo wartime bomb unearthed in central Vietnam

200-kilo wartime bomb unearthed in central Vietnam

VOV.VN - A wartime bomb weighing approximately 200kg has been uncovered by a construction worker while operating an excavator to clear a drainage pipeline in Ky Anh town of Ha Tinh province, central Vietnam.

250-kg wartime bomb found in Phu Tho
250-kg wartime bomb found in Phu Tho

VOV.VN - A 1.4-meter-long wartime bomb weighing approximately 250 kilograms has been discovered in Khai Xuan commune, Phu Tho province.

250-kg wartime bomb found in Phu Tho

250-kg wartime bomb found in Phu Tho

VOV.VN - A 1.4-meter-long wartime bomb weighing approximately 250 kilograms has been discovered in Khai Xuan commune, Phu Tho province.