Coach targets naturalised players to improve team

Coach Kim Sang-sik has unveiled exciting plans to bolster the Vietnamese national football team, focusing on the recruitment of naturalised players and overseas Vietnamese talents.

After a promising start in the 2027 Asian Cup qualifying round, the Vietnamese squad have returned to their clubs to compete in the V.League 1 and the 2024/25 National Cup. The national team are set to regroup on May 26 in preparation for their crucial match against Malaysia on June 10.

During the interim, Kim will not only be looking at possible domestic talents, but will also actively seek out new players to enhance the team’s prowess.

"Since taking office in May last year, I have closely analysed numerous matches to evaluate potential players. I’ve dedicated significant time to understanding the player landscape of Vietnamese football," Kim said in a recent interview with Edaily of the Republic of Korea (RoK).

Highlighting the importance of integrating naturalised and overseas Vietnamese players amid a generational shift in the sport, he said: "I am committed to seeking dual-nationality players. This is not just a global trend but a common practice in Asian football, which will significantly boost our competitiveness on the international stage."

Currently, Kim's squad feature only one naturalised player, striker Nguyen Xuan Son from Brazil. However, notable overseas Vietnamese talents such as goalkeeper duo Dang Van Lam and Nguyen Filip are also making waves.

Naturalised defender Cao Pendant Quang Vinh is poised for a potential call-up to the national team. Recently granted Vietnamese citizenship, Vinh’s addition aligns perfectly with the selective naturalisation policy of Vietnamese football. Having honed his skills in France and the US, his experience will be a valuable asset to the team.

VFF General Secretary Nguyen Van Phu said that the federation will closely monitor Vinh’s performance and development, expressing confidence that he will make significant contributions to the future of Vietnamese football.

Mời quý độc giả theo dõi VOV.VN trên
Viết bình luận

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Related

Xuan Son misses out on SEA Games 2025 following Thailand’s decision
Xuan Son misses out on SEA Games 2025 following Thailand’s decision

VOV.VN - The Football Association of Thailand (FAT) and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) recently confirmed that only U22 players will be eligible for SEA Games 33, leaving naturalized striker Xuan Son without the chance to participate.

Xuan Son misses out on SEA Games 2025 following Thailand’s decision

Xuan Son misses out on SEA Games 2025 following Thailand’s decision

VOV.VN - The Football Association of Thailand (FAT) and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) recently confirmed that only U22 players will be eligible for SEA Games 33, leaving naturalized striker Xuan Son without the chance to participate.