VOV.VN - As many as 328 people have tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus in 11 Vietnamese cities and provinces during the past 12 hours, raising its cumulative tally of infections to 20,261.
Most of the new cases were detected in quarantine or lockdown areas, while 56 cases were of unknown origin, the Ministry of Health said in its 06.00am COVID-19 update on July 5.
Ho Chi Minh City, the busiest and most populous city in Vietnam, took the lead with 175 locally acquired cases. it was followed by Dong Thap (100), An Giang (6), Long An (2), Dong Nai (1), and Soc Trang (1), all in the south.
Elsewhere, 23 new cases were documented in Phu Yen, nine in Hung Yen, eight in Khanh Hoa, two in Bac Ninh, and one in Lang Son.
HCM City has overtaken Bac Giang to become the largest coronavirus hotspot in Vietnam, recording hundreds of new cases on a daily basis these days. It has so far confirmed more than 6,000 new cases during the latest outbreak since late April.
The HCM City Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control on July 4 hit back at rumours that it will lock down the entire city for epidemic prevention, saying the information is incorrect that affects the ongoing COVID-19 fight in the city.
During a meeting with the Prime Minister on July 4, Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said the outbreak has basically been brought under control in the north and efforts are now being made to combat the fresh outbreak in the south, especially in HCM City.
He warned about a sharp rise in numbers of positive cases as the virus has spread to industrial parks and wet markets.
Vietnam has recorded nearly 17,000 positive cases following the resurgence of the virus on April 27. Overall it has logged a total of 20,261 cases since the virus attacked the country in January 2020.
As many as 7,891 patients have been discharged from hospital after making a full recovery from the disease.
Eighty-six patients have died of COVID-19 and other underlying illnesses.