Malaysian Minister of Transport Liow Tiong Lai said the Mozambican and South African governments have agreed on the next phase of search efforts, and will send teams to search for debris and report back to Malaysia on any new development. Malaysia will also send a search team to the area.
The information was released one day after the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) released the Technical Examination Report, confirming two pieces of debris found on beaches in Mozambique almost certainly originated from MH370.
Bernama, Malaysia’s national news agency, quoted Australian Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester as saying that the report pointed to both pieces being from the wing of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
Minister Liow said latest appraisal results confirmed the Boeing 777 plane ended its course in the southern part of the Indian Ocean, where search efforts are taking place over an area of 120,000 square kilometres.
According to Liow, the discovery of more debris helped experts analyse and explain the mystery of the missing flight.
MH370 left Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for Beijing, China on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers when it disappeared.
So far, the main body of the plane has not been found, and the fate of the 227 passengers and 12 crew members still remains unknown.