Tuyen said the purpose of suspending the event is to take greater steps to prevent the potential spread of the COVID-19, implement sufficient control measures to protect the health of citizens, and to ensure the national tourism event is run in an effective manner at a later time.
Indeed, the 16th edition of the ITE HCMC 2020 is initially scheduled to take place from September 4 to September 6 at the Saigon Exhibition and Convention Center in District 7 with the aim of promoting the inbound market and receiving support of the tourism alliance made up of five countries, including Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Bui Ta Hoang Vu, Director of the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Tourism, said that the department has moved to swiftly distribute surveys to exhibitors. The results suggest that travel enterprises are still keeping a close watch on developments of the COVID-19 epidemic, while the nation’s major tourist markets suffering from the economic impact of the epidemic have yet to reopen the door for foreign visitors.
“The tourism sector gives top priority to safety and security. It is challenging for us to regain travellers’ confidence following the conclusion of the epidemic,” said Vu.
ITE HCMC 2020 is anticipated to offer opportunities for travel agencies to introduce their tourism products to international friends in order to attract greater numbers of tourists to Vietnam, including Ho Chi Minh City.
The occasion is therefore expected to help travel firms provide visitors with updated information, seek partners, and sign business contracts.
Last year, the event attracted the participation of businesses from 42 countries and territories worldwide, as well as approximately 30,000 visitors.