No fresh cases in community for 32 days, British patient negative for 10 days

VOV.VN - There were no new COVID-19 infections in the community for 32 consecutive days with the total number of active cases rising to 320 after an additional two cases of the novel coronavirus were confirmed on May 17, the Ministry of Health said in its May 18 update.

no fresh cases in community for 32 days, british patient negative for 10 days hinh 0
The latest cases are Vietnamese people returning from Russia, and they have been isolated upon their entry.

They added up to 320 patients of COVID-19 in the country at present, including 180 returning from epidemic-hit nations, and 260 having fully recovered from the deadly virus

As of 6 am of May 18, Vietnam had not reported any community associated infections for 32 straight days since April 16.

According to the National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control around 10,962 people under are now under health observation or quarantine at hospitals, other quarantine facilities, and at accommodations.

Vietnam is making every effort to prevent sources of infection from new overseas arrivals. In recent times, the country has organized a number of special flights to bring home thousands of citizens returning from epidemic-hit nations such as Canada, France, Japan, Russia, the UAE and the US.

Regarding the 43-year-old British patient (most severe case No 91) in the country, the Ministry of Health said that he has showed improved clinical developments but is still dependent on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO).

In addition, fibrosis has solidified 90% of both of his lungs, leaving a mere 10% functional. The patient have so far tested negative for the SARS-CoV-2 virus for 10 consecutive days.

If he shows negative results after virus isolation, he will be transferred to HCM City-based Cho Ray Hospital to prepare for a lung transplant under the conclusion of major hospitals' consultation on May 12.

VOV

Related news