| Holding a consultation on the British case on June 22, leading Vietnamese health specialists say the patient needs more time to recover completely
Holding a national consultation on the British case on June 22, the specialists also raised the questions of safe transportation of the patient from Vietnam to the UK, as well as preparations of a UK hospital in receiving the patient.
According to doctors, the patient has completely been disconnected from a ventilator since June 21, and his lungs have recovered almost 90%. He stays conscious, can communicate well with medical workers, and can get up and turn around in bed unaided.
The patient can feed himself, while his heart, kidneys, livers are able to function normally. He has been given treatment for his coccyx ulcers and physical therapy twice a day.
Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son said the patient has met criteria to leave the intensive care unit for functional rehabilitation.
However, he suggested Cho Ray Hospital continue to use resuscitation measures to further improve the patient’s health condition so that he can better breathe himself, while ensuring nutrition and enhancing treatment of coccyx ulcers at the intensive care unit.
The British patient, the most critically ill case in Vietnam, was confirmed on March 18 to have contracted the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes the COVID-19 disease. He had fallen into a coma for more than 2 months before staying conscious recently.
He has since then gone on to make a miraculous recovery and doctors said he does not need a lung transplant – an option that doctors had considered to save his life.
The British citizen is currently being treated at Cho Ray Hospital’s intensive care unit in Ho Chi Minh City.