Binh Thuan thermo power plant expansion kicks off

(VOV) -Construction of a US$2 billion expansion of the Vinh Tan Thermal Power Plant got underway on July 18 in Binh Thuan province.

The project is a joint venture among two Chinese investors who are funding 95% of the cost with the remaining 5% provided by the Vinacomin Group in a build-operate-transfer contract.

Once construction is complete in 2018 by the China Energy Engineering Group, the plant will be run commercially for 25 years and then ownership transferred to the State.

The plant is engineered to supply about 7 billion kWh annually to the electricity grid to help provide further power for the south and reduce dependence on hydroelectric power, especially in the dry season.

The power complex has four thermo-power plants with a combined capacity of 5,600 MW. These facilities will need nearly 9 million tons of coal every year to generate electricity for the southern region through 2020.