After being elected, President Trong swore an oath and delivered a speech to the NA. He vowed to be absolutely loyal to the Fatherland, people and the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, and make concerted efforts to fulfill the tasks assigned by the Party, the State and people.
The following is a brief biography of Party General Secretary and President Nguyen Phu Trong:
- Date of birth: April 14, 1944
- Ethnicity: Kinh
- Native land: Dong Hoi Commune, Dong Anh district, Hanoi
- Date of recruitment: December 5, 1967.
- Date of Party admission: December 19, 1967
- Education: Graduate of 10-year general education
- Professional training: Graduate of Linguistics Department (4-year course) at Hanoi University
- Academic title, degree: Professor, PhD in politics (majoring in Party building),
- Political theory training: High level
- Decoration: First Class US Resistance Medal, “For the Cultural Cause” Medal, “For the Cause of Journalism” Medal, “For the Cause of Young Generation” Medal.
- Official member of the Party Central Committee in the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th tenures
- Member of the Political Bureau of the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th tenures;
- Joining the permanent board of the Politburo from August 1999 to April 2001
- National Assembly deputy in the 11th, 12th and 13th tenures.
- Being elected as General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam in 2011.