The following is the brief biography of the new Prime Minister.
- Full name: Nguyen Xuan Phuc
- Date of birth: July 20, 1954
- Native land: Que Phu commune, Que Son district, Quang Nam province
- Ethnic group: Kinh
- Religion: None
+ General education: 10/10
+ Academic Degree: Bachelor of Economics at Hanoi National Economics University (1978)
+Foreign languages: English (B level), Russian (B level)
- Date of Party admission: May 12, 1982; date of official membership: November 12, 1983.
- Member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam (10th, 11th and 12th tenures; Politburo member (11th and 12th tenures)
- Deputy of the National Assembly (11th, 13th and 14th tenures)
- Deputy of the People’s Council of Quang Nam province in the 1999-2004 and 2004-2011 tenures.
- 1966 – 1968: Going to revolutionary base and then was taken to the north for education
- 1968 – 1972: High school
- 1973 – 1978: Student at Hanoi National Economics University (NEU)
- 1978 – 1979: Working at Quang Nam – Danang Economic Management Board
- 1979 – 1993: Cadre; Deputy Chief; Chief of the Office of Quang Nam – Danang Provincial People’s Committee.
- 1993 – 1996: Director of the Tourism Department; Director of the Planning and Investment Department of Quang Nam-Danang Province; Member of the provincial Party Committee (15th and 16th tenures).
- 1997 – 2001: Standing member of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (17th and 18th tenures); Deputy Chairman and later Permanent Deputy Chairman of Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee and Head of the Management Board of Quang Nam Industrial Zones; member of the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Council (6th tenure);
- 2001 – 2004: Vice Secretary of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (18th tenure); Chairman of Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee; National Assembly deputy (11th tenure); member of the 11th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Committee;
- 2004 – 2006: Vice Secretary of the Quang Nam Provincial Party Committee (19th tenure); Chairman of the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee; deputy at the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Council (7th tenure); National Assembly deputy (11th tenure); member of the 11th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Committee.
- March 2006 – May 2006: Deputy Inspector General of the Government Inspectorate; Elected to the Party Central Committee at the 10th National Party Congress.
- June 2006 – August 2007: Member of the 10th Party Central Committee; Permanent Vice Chairman of the Government Office; Member of the 11th National Assembly’s Economic and Budgetary Committee.
- August 2007 – January 2011: Member of the 10th Party Central Committee; Minister - Chairman of the Government Office; Member of the Party Committee of the Government; Head of the Prime Minister’s Task Force for Administrative Procedure Reform.
- January 2011 – July 2011: Member of the Politburo (11th tenure); Minister - Chairman of the Government Office.
- August 2011 – April 2016: Member of the Politburo (11th and 12th tenures); Deputy Prime Minister, Chairman of the Vietnam-Laos Inter-governmental Committee; Head of the Steering Committee for the North-west Region; Head of the Government’s Steering Committee for Crime Prevention and Control; Head of the National Steering Committee for Prevention and Control of Smuggling, Trade Fraud and Fake Commodities; Head the Government’s Steering Committee for Administrative Reform; Chairman of the National Traffic Safety Committee; Vice Chairman of the Central Steering Committee for Corruption Prevention and Control; Vice Chairman of the Central Steering Committee for Judicial Reform.
- April 2016 – July 2016: Member of the Politburo (12th tenure), Prime Minister in the 2011-2016 tenure; Vice Chairman of the Council for National Defence and Security; member of the Central Military Commission’s Standing Board; member of the standing board of the Central Public Security Party Committee; Chairman of the State Steering Committee on the East Sea and Islands; Head of the National Steering Committee on International Integration; Chairman of the Central Council for Emulation and Rewards; Chairman of the National Council for Education and Human Resources Development.
- July 26, 2016: Elected Prime Minister for the 2016 – 2021 tenure at the first session of the 14th National Assembly.