The following is the full text of the Joint Statement.
“1. At the invitation of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, H. E. Mr. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam , and Madame Nguyen Thi Hien led a high - level Vietnamese delegation to pay a State visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia on June 15-16.
During the visit, President Tran Dai Quang had a Royal Audience with His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni. The President also met Samdech Vibol Sena Pheakdey Say Chhum, President of the Senate, Samdech Akka Moha Ponhea Chakrei Heng Samrin, President of the National Assembly, and Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia. President Tran Dai Quang also paid a courtesy call on His Holiness Samdech Preah Akka Maha Sangharajadhipati Tep Vong, Great Supreme Patriarch of Mahanikaya, and His Holiness Samdech Preah Abhisiri Sugandha Maha S angharajadhipati Bour Kry, Great Supreme Patriarch of Dhamayuttikanikaya of the Kingdom of Cambodia and laid wreaths at the Independence Monument, Monument of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk “Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh” the late King Father of Cambodia and the Monument of Cambodia - Vietnam Friendship.
2. In an atmosphere of solidarity, friendship, mutual understanding and trust, leaders of the two countries had extensive discussion s and exchanged views on all dimensions of the relations of friendship and comprehensive cooperation as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest of the two countries.
President Tran Dai Quang congratulates the fraternal Cambodian people on the enormous and prideful achievements made in national reconciliation and development. The President express es his deep conviction that under the wise reign of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, and the leaders of the Senate, the National Assembly and the Royal Government of Cambodia, the people of Cambodia would achieve greater success in the course of national development and would successfully organise communal elections in 2017 and general elections to select members of the National Assembly, sixth legislature in 2018, contributing to realisation of a peaceful and prosperous nation.
His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and other leaders of Cambodia congratulated President Tran Dai Quang and through the President extended congratulations and best regards to the newly-elected Vietnamese leaders, deeply valued the first ever State visit to Cambodia by President Tran Dai Quang, extolled the heroic struggle of the Vietnamese people to safeguard and reunite the country in the past, and congratulated Vietnam on remarkable achievements in national reforms and development. The Leaders of Cambodia also wished that the people of Vietnam, under the leadership of Vietnam’s Communist Party and State, would successfully realise the goals of industrialisation and modernisation.
3. Both sides noted with satisfaction the excellent progress of the friendly neighborliness and comprehensive cooperation in recent years that generated practical benefits to the two peoples.
President Tran Dai Quang underscored that Vietnam always values the good friendship and strong support extended to the people of Vietnam of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk, His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, the leaders and people of Cambodia in the past struggle for national independence as well as in national development today.
His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and other leaders of Cambodia expressed their deep gratitude for the strong support and assistance that generations of leaders and people of Vietnam accorded to the people of Cambodia in the past and at present, and affirmed that they always remember the assistance of the Vietnamese voluntary soldiers in cooperation with Cambodian people to liberate Cambodia from the Khmer Rouge genocide regime in 1979.
4. Both sides pledged to continue strengthening and advancing the bilateral relations under the mantra of “good neighbourliness, traditional friendship, comprehensive and lasting cooperation”, fully observe the principles in the Vietnam-Cambodia Joint Statements in 1999, 2005 , 2009, 2011 and 2014, to respect each other’s independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, non-interfering in each other’s internal affairs and not allowing any hostile forces to use the territory of one country to threaten the security of the other, and settle all problems arising between the two countries by peaceful negotiations.
5. Both sides agreed to increase high-level meetings and contacts, and exchange of delegations at all levels; promote people-to-people contacts, particularly between the people of the border provinces. Both sides underlined the importance of providing both people knowledge of the traditions of friendship, solidarity and mutual support between the two countries.
6. Both sides agreed to instruct relevant ministries and agencies concerned to collaborate with each other to amend the mechanisms and agreements in order to promote bilateral trade, investment and economic connectivity between the two countries. They also agreed to review policies with a view to achieving US$5 billion of bilateral trade in the coming years.
7. Both sides re-affirmed to continue to fully implement Treaties and Agreements and MOUs on border issues between the two countries, and are committed to find once-and-for-all solutions to remaining border sections along the Vietnam-Cambodia borderline in order to complete land border delimitation and markers plantation as soon as possible with an aim to build the borderline of peace, friendship, cooperation and sustainable development between Vietnam and Cambodia.
8. President Tran Dai Quang thanked His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and other leaders and authorities of Cambodia for providing assistance to Vietnamese residents over the past years . In spirit of friendly neighborliness between the two countries, the Socialist Republic of Vietnam hopes that the Kingdom of Cambodia would continue to take measures in ensuring the legitimate rights of Vietnamese residents, equally treated as other foreign residents in Cambodia in conformity with the laws and regulations of Cambodia.
9. In the evolving regional context with current developments, both sides noted with satisfaction the coordination and cooperation between the two countries at multilateral fora during the past years. In this regard, both sides are committed to continuing to further advance the coordination and cooperation through promoting the collaboration, information sharing and mutual support for the sake of strengthening ASEAN’s unity and centrality which contribute to peace, security, stability and cooperation in the region, and the world at large. Both sides encourage the settlement of disputes by peaceful means including negotiation and consultation, exercise of self-restraint, renunciation of the threat or use of force in accordance with universally recognised principle of international laws, including the 1982 United Nations convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Both sides are committed to working closely with each other and other members of the Mekong River Commission, Mekong-Lancang Cooperation and other Mekong cooperation mechanisms to ensure the sustainable management and use of the Mekong river water resources.
10. Both sides agreed to coordinate with each other in organising activities and events solemnly marking the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Vietnam - Cambodia diplomatic relations (24/6/1967-24/6/2017).
11. Both sides expressed appreciation for the outcomes and the profound significance of the President’s State visit, which is seen as a pivotal event that contributes to the promotion of traditional solidarity, friendship and comprehensive cooperation between the two countries in a sustainable manner.
12. President Tran Dai Quang expressed his sincere thanks to His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and the people of Cambodia for the gracious hospitality accorded to him, Madame and the high-level delegation of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
13. President Tran Dai Quang kindly invited His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk and Leaders of the Senate, the National Assembly and the Royal Government of Cambodia to visit Vietnam at an appropriate time. His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk and other Cambodian leaders expressed their heart-felt thanks and accepted the invitation”.