China’s runway construction violates Vietnam’s sovereignty

(VOV) - The construction of an airstrip by China on Phu Lam island has seriously violated Vietnam’s sovereignty over Hoang Sa (Paracel) archipelago, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Le Hai Binh said on October 9.

In reply to reporters’ queries about Vietnam’s reaction to the act, Binh stated, "Vietnam has sufficient legal basis and historical evidence to affirm its sovereignty over the two islands- Paracel (Hoang Sa) and Spratly (Truong Sa).”

Earlier on October 7, China reported that it finalized the expansion of scenery and a 2,000 m long runway and provided support equipment on Phu Lam island belonging to Vietnam’s Paracel islands.

The move infringes upon the Vietnam-China agreement on the fundamental principles guiding the settlement of maritime issues signed in October 2011, running counter to the common perception of the two nations’ senior leaders.

china’s runway construction violates vietnam’s sovereignty  hinh 0

It also violates international law and the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC) signed by ASEAN and China in 2002, thus further complicating the East Sea situation and affecting the development of relationship between the two countries.

The action by China is unlawful and can not change the fact that Vietnam has indisputable sovereignty over the Paracel Islands.

Vietnam resolutely opposes this illegal action by China, asking it to respect Vietnam’s sovereignty and refrain from conducting the similar wrongful acts, thus making practical contributions to the development of the friendship and cooperation between the two nations and maintaining peace and stability in the East Sea.

The same day, Binh also reported that the Netherlands finished identifying three Vietnamese citizens aboard the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 that crashed in the Ukraine in July. 

They include Nguyen Ngoc Minh and her daughter and son, Dang Minh Chau and Dang Quoc Duy. 

The Foreign Ministry asked the Vietnam Embassy in the Netherlands to work together with Dutch agencies to support the victims' families in finalizing the necessary procedures to bring them home on October 12 for burial. 

The Foreign Ministry extends its deepest sympathies to the family of the victims, the official said.